UK Charity Worker visa 2023: Overview, Eligibility, Documents,

A Temporary Work – Charity Worker visa can be applied for if:

  • Doing unpaid volunteer work for a charity appeals to you
  • As long as you meet the other eligibility requirements, you are eligible

The Temporary Worker – Charity Worker visa has been replaced with this one (T5).

If you’re from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein

The EU Settlement Scheme may be available to you if you or a family member moved to the UK by 31 December 2020.

Most people had to apply by 30 June 2021. If either of the following applies to you:

  • Having a later deadline – for example, joining a family member living in the UK by 31 December 2020
  • You had ‘reasonable grounds’ to be unable to apply by 30 June 2021, such as illness or domestic abuse

Check if you can still apply to the EU Settlement Scheme.

To work in the UK, you need a visa.

EU Settlement Scheme and visas are not required for Irish citizens.


You must have a certificate of sponsorship before you can apply for a job in the UK.

You must relate your work in the UK to the work of your sponsor.

How long it takes

Visas can be applied for up to 3 months before you begin working in the UK. Your sponsorship certificate lists this date.

You’ll need to provide your documents and prove your identity as part of your application.

If you need an appointment, you may need to allow extra time. When you start your application, you’ll find out if you need one.

Getting a decision

After you’ve applied online, verified your identity, and submitted your documents, you’ll usually hear back within:

  • 3 weeks, if you’re outside the UK
  • 8 weeks, if you’re inside the UK

When you apply for Charity Worker visas from outside the UK, it takes longer to get a decision. Find out visa decision waiting times.

If you need to make an appointment, you may be able to pay for a faster decision. How you do this depends on whether you’re outside the UK or inside the UK.

How much it costs

Each of you, your partner, or your children will need to:

Application fee

There is a £259 application fee for each applicant.

Whether you apply inside or outside the UK, the fee is the same.

How long you can stay

If your sponsorship certificate specifies a shorter period of time, you can stay for up to 12 months.

Up to 14 days before your job start date, you can enter the UK.

What you can and cannot do

You can:


The following requirements must be met in order to qualify for a Temporary Work – Charity Worker visa:

  • Your UK sponsor should provide you with a certificate of sponsorship reference number
  • To support yourself in the UK, you’ll need at least £1,270 (unless you’re exempt).
  • You must be 18 years of age or older to apply

Certificate of sponsorship

Certificates of sponsorship contain information about the job you will perform and your personal details. There is no certificate or paper document attached to it.

The sponsorship certificate will be given to you by your sponsor.

It is also important that your sponsor provides you with the information they used on your certificate about your job, such as your working hours.

Sponsorship certificates must be issued by a UK government-approved sponsor.

From the date it is assigned to you, your sponsorship certificate is valid for 3 months.

Money to support yourself

To prove you can support yourself in the UK, you must have at least £1,270 in your bank account.

You must have had the money available for at least 28 days. This visa must be applied for within 31 days of day 28.

You’ll usually need to show proof of this when you apply, unless either:

  • You have been in the UK with a valid visa for at least 12 months
  • It is possible for your employer to cover up to £1,270 of your first month’s expenses in the UK

You will also need to prove that your partner and children can support themselves while they are in the UK. Check how much they’ll need.

Read the guidance on financial evidence to learn more about how much money you need.

If your employer can support you instead

This must be confirmed in your sponsorship certificate. Your employer must complete the ‘sponsor certifies maintenance’ section on your certificate. Under ‘Additional data’, you will find this information.

Documents you must provide

You will need to provide the following information when applying:

  • You will receive your certificate of sponsorship reference number from your employer
  • Valid passport or other document proving your identity and nationality
  • evidence that you have enough personal savings to support yourself in the UK, for example bank statements (unless your certificate of sponsorship shows your employer can support you)
  • proof of your relationship with your partner or children if they’re applying with you
  • your tuberculosis (TB) test results if you’re from a country where you have to take the test

For your visa, you need a blank page in your passport.

You’ll need to provide a certified translation of any documents that are not in English or Welsh.

Read the guidance on documents you can provide.

Depending on your situation, you may need to provide additional documents.

Apply from outside the UK

You must apply online for this visa.

You’ll need to prove your identity as part of your application. It depends on where you’re from and what type of passport you have how you do this.

You’ll either:

  • have your fingerprints and photograph taken at a visa application centre – this is to get a biometric residence permit
  • You’ll also be able to create or sign into your UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) account by using the ‘UK Immigration: ID Check’ app

When you apply, you’ll be told what to do.

If you need an appointment, please follow these steps:

  • While your application is being processed, the center may need to keep your passport and documents
  • You may have to travel to the nearest visa application center (this could be in another country).

When applying through a visa application center, find out if you can pay to get a faster decision – depending on your location.

Apply from inside the UK

You can only extend your existing visa if you’re already in the UK.

Read More  Malta Work Visa Types 2023 | Application Process (Explained)
WhatsApp GroupFor The Latest Update Join Now
Facebook PageJoin Now
TwitterJoin Now
Photo of Zaryab


I started this website to help the students, You can find the latest scholarships on, a website that guides you according to your field of study. I will provide the information that students will need to apply for international scholarships in the US, UK, Canada, Australia, Europe, Asia, and Africa.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button